Monday, July 9, 2012

Pineapple Upside-Down Cake: Easiest Thing I've EVER Baked!


On 4th of July Tommy and I were talking about dessert (we've been talking about food a lot lately...).  He is CRAZY about Pineapples.  So I ass-u-me'd that he had probably had pineapple upside down cake before.  When I asked him about it, he said he didn't know about it. WHAT?! The Pina lover didn't KNOW about it??? HELLO!  I didn't know how to make it and actually assumed it was going to be quite the task, but decided it was time we try!

Did a little research and found the most awesome, easy as pie recipe (who the H made up that saying anyways because making PIE is NOT easy....).  We'll say this was as easy as 1, 2, 3 since that's pretty dang easy!  SO here goes:

Pineapple Upside Down Cake that Rules!

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • sprinkling of coconut (optional)
  • 10 maraschino cherries
  • 20 oz can of pineapple chunks 
  • 1 box of yellow cake mix
Directions
  • Preheat the oven to 350.  Melt your butter in a little glass dish then in a 9x13 baking dish mix together your brown sugar and butter.  
  • In a separate mixing bowl mix your cake mix as the boxed directions say (probably with two eggs and water).  **For extra pineapple goodness you can drain the juice from your pineapples and use that in place of the liquid your cake mix asks for.  I did this and had to add about 1/2 cup of water to get the full amount needed.** 
  • Back to your baking dish sprinkle your coconut over your sugar/butter mixture then pour your drained pineapple over the sugar mix.  Add your cherries. Stef, I know....all the sugar and butter...you're having a heart attack....it was a good splurge.  
  • Pour your cake batter mixture evening on top of all this delish-ness.  Pop the dish into the oven and bake for 25-35 minutes. 
  • When it comes out of the oven let it cool for about 10 minutes then flip the cake onto a dish or plate so it's pretty.  THIS was the hardest part, folks if you can believe that!  

We couldn't wait until it was all the way cooled to eat some AND went ala mode.  I think the only thing I might have tried different was to do crushed pineapple next time instead of the chunks.  The pineappley bites were SUPER pineappley.  But I couldn't believe how well this turned out.  ANOTHER baking success by accident.  I never expect my baking adventures to turn out well.  



No comments:

Post a Comment