Saturday, June 9, 2012

Fish Tacos for Mi Hermana


Fish Tacos always sounded like a weird concept to me... You see I love tacos, and I love all fish, so I'm not sure why I was hesitant to try this incredible delicacy.  A few years ago my pseudo big sis, Amy got married in LA.  Tommy and I were more than pumped to be able to be a part of her incredible celebration and flew out to LA.  We'd not been to LA, but one of our close friends, Levi who was also in town for Amy's sha-bang, was more than willing to tour us around.  

We drove around and saw the sites....it was grand in the land of LA.  But the icing on the cake, or should I say the salsa on the tortilla, was the fish tacos we had for lunch with Levi.  INCREDIBLE!  The fish was delish and making it even better by adding taco-ness to it was when I discovered fish tacos are GENIUS!  

So I'm sure I'll never be able to replicate the tacos we had that day in LA, but I can continue to try perfecting a recipe that tastes like Los Angeles and reminds me of Levi.  

You can totally add or change your ingredients to adapt to your taco preference, but today here was my fish taco recipe that I made for me and my sister...

Ingredients:
  • Whole Wheat Tortillas
  • Rice
  • Refried Black Beans
  • Fresh Baby Chopped Spinach
  • Fresh Salsa
  • Salmon
  • Lime Juice
  • Cilantro
Directions:

After you bring a pot of water to a boil, cook your rice in the water.  While your rice is cooking, you'll have time to do the rest of the prep for all your taco stuffings.  My sister, Evie got me one of my new favorite kitchen doo-dahs for Christmas this year....A STEAMER!  It rules.  Dinner making has become so easy.  Anyways, I used the steamer to throw on 3 cuts of salmon with lime juice and cilantro sprinkled on top.  You set the timer for 20 minutes and just let it do its thing!

Meanwhile, you can put your salsa and chopped spinach in serving bowls.  I prefer my refried black beans to be heated, you can even microwave them if you'd like!  When I have fish tacos, I prefer to use a sweeter salsa, it just seems to go better with the fish.  

Once your steamer dings that the fish is done you can take the cuts of fish out of the steamer and just fork it apart.  It literally just flakes apart when you cut the fork into it.  

By this time your rice is also finished and you can add some cilantro and lime juice to your rice for flavor (I like to make extra rice so I can save my leftovers for a chipotle bowl replica for tomorrow's dinner.).  

From this point, it's dinner par-tay time! Time to build your tacos.  Today was Evie's first Fish Taco experience and I'll speak for her in saying it was a SUCCESS!  See Ev! Cooking's NOT that hard!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment